15 March 2009

15 March 2009


Arrived at the farm by myself a bit after 9:15am. Just after driving through the front gate I was greeted by a mob of about 20-25 pigs running across the property and into the neighbour's property. They moved too quick for me to take a photo and were gone by the time the camera started up.

I parked under a tree near the big dam. Although it had rained recently, the main dam is a bit low on water - although the other dams seem fine.

I walked down to the north/ east boundary of the property so I could have a look where the property starts and found the surveyor's boundary marker.
From there I headed west to the other boundary. Just before I crossed the gully, I stumbled onto a brown snake, which quickly slivered into a bush. I nearly filled the back of my pants!!! It looked like a healthy example with a fat belly. Luckily a fight to the death was not required and I stayed well clear of the bush but was weary of going near any other bushes.

Near the top (north/west boundary) I found a spot with a great view. This would be a great place to build something. I can imagine waking up in the morning and watching the sun rise over the mountains (below). There was a gentle breeze blowing, which will be great for the planned wind turbine. Not too sure if access to this site is a possibility. Stay tuned!



From there I walked the back fence and saw a mob of kangaroos, but couldn't get the camera in time. The fence along this boundary is in pretty good shape and is in line with the surveyor's marks.

After about 1km of walking I made a left hand turn and walked the south boundary - heading towards where I had seen the pigs early this morning. I found an area with heaps of pig damage and they had obviously been digging around for something not that long ago.

After a bit more walking I arrived at the entrance to the property without seeing any more pigs. I then headed back to the car. By this stage it was after 12 noon! I grabbed a drink and had a bit of a rest.

I then drove over to the smaller dam to have a sandwich and a drink. While watching the dam, I noticed a small pig come out from the bushes and have a drink at the dam. I grabbed the camera and opened the door, but it saw me and ran back into the bushes.

I slowly crept closer to the dam and got a couple of photos of the pigs making their get away.


This last pig must have been asleep when the rest of them made their get away! He eventually caught up.


I then started on the 3.5 hour drive back to Sydney. Not before finding a shingle back lizard on the path.


Stay tuned for more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment