23 November 2009

Shed floor - Part 1

I took the Saturday off from my usual chores and headed to the farm to do a bit (more) work on the shed floor. I took Fonzi for company.

Once at the farm, I was keen to see whether the water tank was still connected to the guttering (and not blown away) and if the door to the shed had survived the wind. It turned out that everything was fine.

I arrived at the farm just after 10am and it was already 33 degrees. The flies were relentless and the grass seeds seemed to get through my jeans and into my socks. No more green grass as it is too hot and has gone into seed.

I was hoping that the shed door would have kept the mice out of the shed. However, there were a few small signs that they had got in. I'll have to seal the door up later down the track.

Here's today's work area. I'm installing the floor joists to support plywood floor. It should be sturdy enough that the floor doesn't bounce when you walk on it.

Here's one of the joints used to secure the floor foundation.

Here's the first beam installed. Now to glue and screw it in.


By lunch time, the temperature in the shed had reached 40 degrees and it was unbearable in the sun. The shed was too hot for Fonzi and he took refuge under the car.


Here's the next 2 joists of the floor all completed, which works out to be about half the floor completed.

All that was left for today was for some rain to fill up the water tank (even if just a little bit) - no luck on this front. The weather forecast was showing that November rainfall was still at 0.00mm. The previous driest November was in 2002 where only 8.2mm of rain fell the whole month. The forecast over the next few days was for mostly light rain. There was the chance of some thunderstorms which should bring heavy rain fall. Fingers crossed that we get some rain fall soon and we don't beat 2002's record.

Talking about water, I took some time off from the shed to drive around and inspect the other dams on the property. Now with the new front gate, we don't drive past the other dams anymore.

Universally, the dams were all lower on water - damn the drought! Here's the dam where the pigs usually hang out. It's dropped about 1 foot.



Below is the second largest dam, which is south of the big dam. This dam is supposed to receive the water run off from the surrounding hills and any overflow goes into the big dam (downstream).


Finally, this is the big dam. It's getting a bit smaller each time! Hang on until the wet season (whenever that is).


Another day and another bit of work done. I'm hoping to make it back next week and finish off the floor joists so I can lay the floor. Most of all, I'm also hoping for some water in the tank!


No comments:

Post a Comment