08 February 2010

7 February 2010

I headed up to the farm by myself to do some preparatory work to the water tank stand for when we get the 2nd tank - which we plan to buy shortly. The base to the tanks had become warped and my job today was to fix it.

Here's the warped base....


The first job was to put a cut in the base, to allow me to move the base without moving the tank (which is full of water).


I installed a cross beam to strengthen the frame.

A few bolts and metal brackets keeps it all in place.



I took the time to try to block the hole the mice had dug near the shed. I have tried to stop them getting in by putting rocks over the hole, but they manage to dig around.



Here's the wire mesh I put down along the length of the shed, which should stop them getting into the hole.


Along with taking up my tools, I took up a load of corrogated iron to cover the water tanks. Here's the first sheet attached to the frame. Unfortunatly, my cordless drill was going flat so I was unable to use the metal cutter to trim the sheets. The only job I could do was attach the sheets to the frame - no cutting!


Heres' the second sheet attached. I should be able to use the off cuts to plug the gap at the top of the frame.


I used the drill to cut out a piece of the iron to fit around the water pipe. I plan to use expanding foam later to fill the gap around the pipe.


And then... my drill went flat. This is where the job finishes. Hopefully by the next trip I'll have my generator so I'll be able to use my power tools to power through the job!


The job so far from a different angle.

With the drill battery just about dead, I started working on a window frame for the shed. The plan is to have a window that opens and closes and has some fly screen to keep the flies and mozzies out.



The local wildlife has been "exploring" the trees and had snapped a branch off! We'll need to do something to protect the tress as they are constantly being stripped of their leaves. That's a job for the next few visits.


After watering all the plants, we are left with about 950 litres. The yellow marker is where we left the tank on the last vists - so we had a bit of rain fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment