The drive to the farm on Sunday seemed shorter than usual (although it wasn't!). The weather was unusually cold and (predictably) there was a strong wind blowing from the south-east and the sky was overcast with some dark clouds.
Fonzi was very happy to be out of the car.
While I started work on the shed, Kath started to build some tree guards for the tree. It seems that the local wildlife likes to sample the trees - although the damage isn't too bad.
Unfortunately, the ground was too hard for the stakes to go in. Project abandoned.
Predictably, the heavens opened up and we retreated to the shed. One piece of good news is that the shed is waterproof. I thought with all the holes in the roof, it would leak - but not a drop came through!
Fonzi's thinking "I hope this crappy shed holds up!!!".
With the cold wind blowing, the temperature was about 5 degrees. This is supposed to be the first week of Spring!
When the rain stopped, Kath continued with her lawn mowing. You could mow for weeks straight and still not cut all the grass!!! You can see how cold it is as Kath is still wearing her ski jacket and a beanie while mowing the grass. The weather was such a change from the last visit when Kath was mowing the grass in a T-shirt and working up a sweat.
Fonzi retreats from the noisy lawn mower - no wonder he is deaf!
Fonzi retreats from the noisy lawn mower - no wonder he is deaf!
And the sun finally comes out!
My project today was to make some progress on the shed. Firstly, I concreted in the floor pylons which will be used to support the floor joists. There are 9 posts in total, here's just 3.
Next, I gave the roof a clean with soapy water. If you saw how the shed was stored when we purchased it, you would not ask why I cleaned it. While we (ideally) won't be drinking this water, I still want to clean off the dirt from the roof so it doesn't get washed into the water tank (when we install it).
My next job was to strengthen the roof. This side of the roof faces the strong winds and I want to try to stop the roof from blowing off in a strong wind. It doesn't look nice, but it serves a purpose.
With a bit of time still left before we had to leave, I installed the guttering to the north side of the shed. I can't install the guttering on the other side (the side with the door) as the shed is all crooked and the guttering won't fit properly.

We headed back to Sydney at about 3:30pm (gotta love daylight saving!). On the way back, we drove through a mild hailstorm. Perfect weather for an unpredictable farm.
We headed back to Sydney at about 3:30pm (gotta love daylight saving!). On the way back, we drove through a mild hailstorm. Perfect weather for an unpredictable farm.
No comments:
Post a Comment